Wednesday 25 September 2013

Heaven by Alexandra Adornetto: Review

13056511Heaven

Pages: 417
Release Date: August 21st, 2012
Status: Final installment of the Halo Trilogy
Recieved From: My school library

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 

Only sixteen when she started the series, Ally Adornetto knows how teen hearts beat, and this long-awaited conclusion is certain to be her most popular book yet.

Bethany, an angel sent to Earth, and her mortal boyfriend, Xavier, have been to Hell and back. But now their love will be put to its highest test yet, as they defy Heavenly law and marry. They don’t tell Beth’s archangel siblings, Gabriel and Ivy, but the angels know soon enough, and punishment comes in a terrifying form: the Sevens, who are rogue angels bent on keeping Beth and Xavier apart, destroying Gabriel and Ivy, and darkening angelic power in the heavens.

The only way Bethany and can elude the Sevens is to hide in the open, and blend in with other mortals their own age. Gabriel and Ivy set them up at college, where they can’t reveal their relationship, and where there is still danger around each corner. Will Bethany be called back to Heaven – forever – and face leaving the love of her life?


Let me just start of my post by saying, Alexandra Adornetto, even though this series ended, I'd still like to thank you for making such a great series!

Now for the review...

Heaven is the final instalment of the Halo Trilogy. To be honest with you, I didn't know if I was going to even like the first book, but here I am now, feeling a little sad knowing that this is the final Halo review.

The book literally starts off where Hades left off. After the ground starts shaking in book 2, it stops like on the first line or something in Heaven.

Beth and Xavier, knowing that it's now or never to get married, rush to the Church. Thankfully, they have the priest and witness ready to marry them, but their happy mood is suddenly ruined when the reaper takes away the priest's soul. Gabriel and Ivy soon barge in and put Xavier and Beth into hiding.

They hide for awhile in a very secluded area before being moved to a university in Oxford, Mississippi called Ole Miss (one question, is that a real school or is it made up?). But unfortunately for them, the Seven and some very vengeful villains return when they least expect it, and the group has to do a lot to keep each other safe.

In the end, Beth has to make the ultimate decision and sacrifice to be with Xavier. But is love really all that powerful?

This book was very speedy plot wise. There was so much going on that I seriously lost track of how much time went by, that by the end of the book, I was just trying to process if that much time had really passed and I missed it. Like at the end, we even saw some characters disappear (what ever happened to Ivy? And Nikki?).

HOWEVER, I was NOT expecting any visitors from book 2. I seriously thought we were done with that, but I was just like blindsided by that that I was just like "Oh my gosh, Ally just Moffated me!". Well played Adornetto, well played. And she did it again when the Best Kept Secret was finally revealed! I was like:

You don't even know how Moffated I felt.

I wasn't really happy how the university experience just was sort of meshed together. There was a point where I was so happy that the two were going to uni, but as the plot progressed, I just found it unneeded for. But in the end, it just made me feel sad because of Beth (I'm not going into detail, but for all those who have read the trilogy should know what I mean!).

I wasn't all too happy about the end too, it just finished waaaaay too fast. It was like the beginning was slow, the middle was like heart stopping, and as we drew closer to the end of the book it sort of fell flat. I think it probably had to do with the fact it was only 417 pages. If it was a little longer, I think things would've wrapped up beautifully.

However, Adornetto was able to end the trilogy in a satisfying way, and ended the same way it began with the characters we loved.

Heaven wasn't as dark as Hades but it was darker than Halo. It was a pretty in between book for me, but still had the same awesome wit and dialogue that I love.

What I loved the most about the series is the way that Adornetto can write the Archangels with such hilarious personalities. I really loved Raphael the most:

"You're prettier than I imagined you," Raphael said.


 

"Uh...thank you," I said. "But I don't really..."


 

"Wait, wait, I've got one," he interrupted. "Somebody better call God. Because Heaven's missing an angel!"


 

He burst out laughing and slapped his thigh.


 

"What? I demanded.


 

"I found a book," Raphael explained. "One hundred best pickup lines."



-page 246, Heaven


#FACT: Archangel Raphael reads pickup line books.
Like 100% to you Adornetto! A plus, plus! Raphael was amazing! I really wished we got to know him more.

Overall, this book was amazing. Admittedly, it wasn't a series that I was expecting to ever read, but I am glad I did. Yes, I will agree with those that say the series is all about Beth and Xavier. But think about it guys: yes, the book may be centred around their relationship, but it is also centred around love and what it really means to have faith in yourself, your family, your friends and your other half.

An great ending to a wonderful series: 3 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment