Tuesday 24 September 2013

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare: Review

7171637<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/10776667/?claim=tk6a3h9jn2y">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Clockwork Angel

Author: Cassandra Clare
Pages: 479
Status: 1st book in the Infernal Devices series
Release Date: August 31, 2010
Recieved From: My school library

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them....


Let me just begin my post by saying that I didn't go to bed till late at night (or early the next morning depending on how you look at it).

I had read the City of Bones and the City of Ashes when they first came out...and that was pretty much it for me. I didn't read City of Glass, and haven't really gotten to buy or borrowing the book. But I always meant to get back to the series-I SWEAR!

Anyways, Clockwork Angel was freaking amazing! I've always wanted to read The Infernal Devices, but I always felt guilty for not finishing the Mortal Instrument. But I saw Clockwork Angel and I HAD to take it (the books always seem to disappear in my school's library).

The story starts off with Will and Jem discovering a body of a dead girl in the streets of Victorian London. Immediately, they suspect the murder probably had Downworlders involved, and Will takes it upon himself to solve the mystery.

We are then introduced to Tessa, who has arrived on a steamer, expecting to be picked up by her older brother, Nate, but is instead picked up by the Dark Sisters, Mrs. Black and Mrs. Dark, who claim that her brother had told them to pick her up.

It then skips to a couple weeks later, where Tessa has been kept locked up in the Dark Sisters house and has been forced to tap into powers she didn't know she possessed: shape-shifting. She later escapes from the house after being rescued by the ever gorgeous, sexy and mysterious William Herondale.

Tessa soon finds herself at the doorstep of the London Institute and the mercy of the Enclave, where she is thrown into a world of mystery and deadly secrets.

I'm not going to say anything more (don't want any spoilers), but if you wanna know more, GO READ THE SERIES!
 
What I loved about this series is that it has brought back my love for the Mortal Instruments series, and now I'm really upset that I stopped at the City of Glass.
Clockwork Angel lived up to it's reputation. The plot was wonderful, the characters were amazing, and there was a lot of foreshadowing with the future books and the Mortal Instruments (which I liked).

What I love is the plot! OH THE BEAUTIFUL PLOT! I don't know what kept me reading: to find out if they'll figure out who the Magister is in time, what really happened to Nate, if Charlotte and Benedict, or Will and Gabriel, would kill each other or something, I don't know. The book was so compelling and beautifully written that I was completely enthralled! 

I especially loved the characters, and as I progressed, I that guilt I felt for not finishing TMI just started to eat me alive!

I love Tessa: she's badass, a bookworm, and she's got some pretty awesome powers. And not to mention, she has some pretty awesome comebacks:

Jessamine ignored him. "Is it dreadful, being so evil? Are you worried you'll go to Hell?" She leaned in closer to Tessa. "What do you think the Devil's like?"


 

Tessa set her fork down. "Would you like to meet him? I could summon him up in a trice of you like. Being a warlock, and all."

-page 68, Clockwork Angel


Like if I was there, I would've being letting out a whoop of laughter like Will (if I wasn't, you know, drooling all over him).
Will and Jem are so beautiful together. I love the way they compliment each other. But I just hate being torn between the two (it's my heartache for Jace and Simon all over again...dang)! Although, I can tell you I could've used a little more Magnus Bane. But he was in the book, and I'm fine with that (because it's just not right if Magnus isn't in it). 

The only character I didn't like was Jessmine. I don't know, I guess it was her description and the way that she acted that just made me think of her as a doll half the time, and whenever she had any lines, I would read them in the highest pitched voice I can ever muster. I just didn't like her, especially at the end after what happened with Thomas. That was tragic.
My favourite character though has got to be Henry. He's just so...I don't know. Sometimes I would get upset because he was so oblivious to Charlotte and how she felt, but there would be times where he was affectionate. I think what makes him my favourite character is the fact that he's so much like the 11th Doctor. Think about it: he's always locked up somewhere, working on something crazy; he's wife is strong and takes control of everything; and he's very puppy and childlike. But at the same time, he can take control of the situation and be the Shadowhunter he is and you can tell he does care about his wife. The only main difference is that Henry's ginger, and the Doctor will never be ginger (sorry Doctor).




But seriously, Clockwork Angel was beautiful, and I'm so happy to say that I was able to get the second book from my school's library! YAY! Hopefully, I'll be able to get my hands on TMI really soon.

Overall, 3.5 stars out of 5 for Clockwork Angel! 

No comments:

Post a Comment